The New York Department of Health confirmed that 19-year-old Kerry Stoutenburgh died from the Naegleria fowleri amoeba, aka the "brain-eating amoeba." The brain-eating amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater lakes, rivers, hot springs and soil, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL STORY ON KERRY.
This can be avoided. Wear nose-plugs and a swim mask when swimming in freshwater!
The video below is some *good* news about the Brain Amoeba. You may get a bit weepy, though.